Penne with Spring Vegetables
Penne with Spring Vegetables from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 6
- Non-fat cooking spray
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups yellow squash, cubed
- ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 16 oz package of penne pasta
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray then heat over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic then cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add asparagus and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and squash and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions then drain. Toss pasta with the vegetable mixture and basil then serve.