Spiced Fruit Salad
A novel deviation from traditional Indian desserts. Serves: Four.
- 225 gm tinned pineapple chunks
- 225 gm tinned peach chunks
- 225 gm tinned mango slices, cut into chunks
- 225 gm tinned guava halves, cut into chunks
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamoms
- 3 cloves 4 black peppercorns
- Drain all the fruits and reserve the syrup.
- Mix all the syrup together, reserve 280 ml and drain off the remainder.
- Put the syrup into a saucepan.
- Add the spices and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and reduce the syrup to half its original volume by boiling for about five minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the syrup to cool.
- Keep the pan covered until the syrup is cool (in an open pan some of the flavour will be lost).
- Reserve a few pieces of peach and guava and all the mangoes.
- Arrange the remaining fruits in a serving bowl.
- Arrange the mangoes on top, then put in the reserved peach and guava.
- Strain the spiced syrup and pour over the fruits.
- Cover with cling film and chill.
- For a variation, use fresh ripe Pear instead of tinned mango.
- Can also add one tbsp brandy to the syrup.]