- In medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until onion is softened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, soybeans, zucchini, green beans, chard and red pepper flakes if desired. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in pasta, reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.