Quinoa with Latin Flavors
Cilantro, lime and scallions lend a bright finish to delicate quinoa. This is a versatile side dish.
- Source: Eating Well, December 2005/January 2006
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.26.07
- Active time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- Makes 6 servings, ⅔ cup each
- 1 cup quinoa 
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 x 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 x 14-ounce can reduced-sodium broth
- ¼ cup pepitas, toasted 
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Toast quinoa in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it crackles and becomes aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chiles and garlic; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the quinoa and broth; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add pepitas, cilantro, scallions, lime juice and salt to the quinoa; mix gently and fluff with a fork.
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/
- Quinoa, a delicately flavored grain that was a staple in the ancient Incas' diet, is available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting the grain before cooking enhances the flavor, and rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa's natural, bitter protective coating.
- To toast nuts and seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are dusky green and have a delicate nutty flavor. They can be found in the health-food or bulk sections of many supermarkets.
- 181 calories | 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono) | 1 mg cholesterol | 27 g carbohydrate | 7 g protein | 3 g fiber | 196 mg sodium.
- Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value) | Magnesium (23% dv) | Iron (20% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1.5 starch | 1 fat
- 4 pts