Indian Fry Bread
Pioneer and Indian Recipes by Whitman Mission National Historical Site, National Parks Service, US Department of the Interior, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- In a bowl, mix sugar and milk.
- Add flour.
- Gradually stir in the water until the flour is moistened and the dough forms.
- Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface; knead until dough is well mixed.
- Roll to a 10 inch square and about ½ inch thickness.
- Cut into 12 rectangles.
- In a deep saucepan, heat some oil at 375 °F.
- And fry the dough 2–3 minutes or until medium brown.
- Turn often as you are frying.
- Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.