Hearts of Palm and Leek Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only, diced
- 2 cans (15 oz ea) hearts of palm, drained and diced
- 1¾ cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 scallion, diced
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic, onion, and leeks for about 5 minutes.
- Add all but 2 tablespoons of the hearts of palm and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in the whipping cream, and ladle the mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, return to pan and gently reheat.
- Meanwhile mix the tomato, scallions, and reserved hearts of palm for garnish.
- When soup is heated through, top with garnish.
Per serving: 458 calories; 23g pro, 42g carb, 30g fat(55%), 3g fiber, 82 mg chol, 574 mg sodium