Source: The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic by Mary Abbott Hess, R.D., M.S. and Katharine Middleton
- 2 cans (7 oz) tuna, packed in oil
- 1 cup cabbage, coarsely chopped
- ⅔ cup carrot, grated
- ½ cup low-fat yogurt
- 3 tbsp catsup
- 1½ tsp salt
- few grains freshly ground pepper
- 6 slices bread, toasted
- ½ head lettuce
- 18 slices thinly pared cucumber
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- Drain tuna, then flake lightly.
- Combine tuna, cabbage, and carrot; set aside.
- Combine yogurt, catsup, vinegar, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Add to tuna mixture and blend.
- Put 1 piece of toast on each plate; add several lettuce leaves.
- Add ⅔ cup of tuna mixture.
- Arrange 3 slices of cucumber across top.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Food exchanges per serving: 2½ lean meat + 1 starch + 1 vegetable
- cho: 19g | pro: 23g | fat: 7g | sod: 630 | cho: 44 mg
- Low-sodium diets: omit salt. Use unsalted canned tuna and catsup.