Curried Vegetable Hash
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. mild curry powder
- 2 cups peeled, diced winter Squash ( 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups peeled, diced all-purpose potatoes ( 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn (3 medium ears), or frozen
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 ripe medium tomato, halved, seeded and diced
- 1 to 2 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 to 2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add Onion and bay leaf and cook, stirring often, until Onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, garlic, flour and curry powder and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
Stir in Squash, potatoes, corn, bell pepper, broth and salt until well combined. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat slightly and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in tomato and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender and coated with medium-thick gravy, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil and parsley. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve hot.