Cilantro Cream Risotto with Shrimp
Makes 6 servings.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, divided
- ¾ pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked u.s. arborio or medium-grain rice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat water and broth in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine cream and cilantro in small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture is reduced in half, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp; cook until pink, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Remove from saucepan; keep warm.
- Cook onion and garlic in remaining butter over medium heat until soft.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup water-broth mixture.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining water-broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another.
- Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro cream, shrimp, tomatoes, green onions, pepper and salt.
- Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.