Chocolate and White Yule Log
10 to 12 servings.
- 4 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Plus 1/3 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Premier white chips
- 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S cocoa or Dutch Processed cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 375 °F. Line 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; generously grease foil.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add 1/2 cup Sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed of mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in medium bowl on high speed about 3 minutes; gradually add remaining 1/3 cup Sugar.
Continue beating 2 additional minutes or until mixture is thick and lemon-colored.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gently fold into egg yolk mixture alternately with water just until mixture is smooth. Gradually fold chocolate mixture into egg whites; spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan; invert on clean linen towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Carefully peel off foil.
- Immediately roll cake in towel starting from narrow end; place on wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare WHITE cream FILLING.
- Unroll cake; remove towel.
- Spread with filling; reroll cake.
- Spread chocolate GLAZE over top and sides.
- Cover; refrigerate until just before serving.
- Garnish with WHITE LEAVES and Candied cherries, if desired.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small cup; let stand 1minute to soften.
- Place white chips and milk in small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds to 1 minute; stir after 30 seconds, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Add gelatin mixture and vanilla; stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream in small bowl until stiff; carefully fold into chip mixture.
- Refrigerate 10 minutes or until filling begins to set.
- About 2 cups filling.
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa and water.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Do not boil.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth.
- About 2/3 cup.