Cauliflower Bean and Rice Salad
This unusual salad makes a splendid addition any cold table spread or vegetarian meal, and is prefect to serve with soup as a light but nutritious lunch or supper meal.
- 1 small Cauliflower
- 125g (4oz) long-grain rice
- 125g (4oz) cooked red kidney beans
- 125g (4oz) cooked flageolet beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- mint sprigs to garnish
- -- Dressing:
- 150g (5.3 oz) carton natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoons natural bran(optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 small Onion, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint
- salt and pepper
- Trim the Cauliflower into small florets.
- Cook in boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Drain, refresh under cold running water, then drain again thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling salted water, according to the packet instructions, until tender.
- Drain thoroughly and allow to cool. Mix the Cauliflower with the rice, beans and mint.
- To make the dressing, mix the yogurt with the bran, lemon juice, garlic, Tabasco sauce, half the mint and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold into the Cauliflower mixture.
- Spoon on to a serving dish and sprinkle with the remaining Onion and mint.
- Garnish with the mint sprigs.