Cassava Leaves and Beans
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Cover the beans with cold water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.
- Remove beans from heat and set aside.
- While beans are simmering: heat half of the oil in a skillet and fry the onions and green pepper for a few minutes.
- Add this mixture to the beans.
- Rinse cassava leaves in hot water and crush them with a mortar and pestle.
- Bring a separate pot of water to a boil.
- Add greens, onion, and remaining oil.
- Boil for a few minutes, then reduce heat and cook for about an hour until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
- When beans and greens are tender: combine greens and beans in the largest pot.
- Add salt to taste.
- Simmer over low heat for an additional 15 to 30 minutes.