Puerto Rican beef stew
- 1½ – 2 lbs of beef for stew
- ¼ cup of flour for dredging
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of oregano
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of "adobo"
- 4 – 5 tablespoons of "sofrito"
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 x 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 x 12 ounce can of beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 – 3 potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot sliced into rings (optional)
- 1 – 2 bay leaves
- Season stew beef with adobo.
- Lightly dredge stew meat in flour.
- Heat oil in a large pot and brown meat.
- Once the meat is nice and brown lower the flame add sofrito and continue cooking for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce, beef/chicken broth and red wine.
- Add oregano bring up the heat to simmer.
- This would be a good time to taste for seasoning if you feel it needs more add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue simmering for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook until fork tender the beef should be tender by this this time.
- Remove bay leaf from pot and discard.
- You can serve this with white rice, egg noodles or Italian bread enjoy.