This can be eaten alone or served over additional rice. This stew is often made with veal in place of beef, and cooks might substitute cassava (manioc) for the potato
- Heat in large saucepan: 3 t.
- Brown in oil and discard: 1 large clove of garlic.
- Add to oil and sauté: 1 ½ c.
- onion finely chopped, 2 tomatoes chopped, 2 green peppers chopped.
- Add: salt and pepper to taste, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped.
- Remove vegetables from saucepan and set aside to be added later.
- Add and brown: 1 pound of cubed stew beef.
- Add 6 cobs corn cut in one-inch slices, or 1 17-ounce can of corn, drained ½ pound of pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed (do not use canned) ½ pound of white potatoes (1-2 medium) peeled and chopped.
- Return sautéed vegetables to saucepan.
- Add: beef or vegetable stock or water to cover and 1 cup uncooked rice (not minute rice).
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Add ore liquid during cooking if necessary.