Bake Batter Bread
Here's an easy bread to make, especially for novice bakers. No kneading is involved for this homey bread slightly coarse textured yeast bread.
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast, 2¼ teaspoons
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat milk and shortening together over low heat until warm. The shortening does not need to melt.
- Add egg to flour mixture.
- Stir in milk mixture.
- Beat very hard for 300 strokes or use a heavy-duty mixer. The batter should leave the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape batter down from side of bowl and cover.
- Let rise in a warm place (80 °F to 85 °F) until double, about 45 minutes.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir batter down and pour into greased loaf pan.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place bread into oven and bake about 40 minutes. The bread will sound hollow when tapped when it is finished baking.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool on baking rack.
- Makes about 18 slices.
Things You'll Need
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- mixer, optional
- loaf pan
- cooling rack
Sources and Citations
- Breads, Cakes and Pies in Family Meals: A Guide for Consumers, USDA, 1979.