Artichoke and Celery Root Soup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place egg white in a bowl, and beat until frothy.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir until almonds are coated.
- Spread out evenly over bottom of a baking dish.
- Toast, stirring often, until almonds are lightly browned, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before using.
- Remove stems, and snap off all outer leaves from artichokes.
- Pull out cone of tender inner leaves, and scrape away central choke.
- Trim away any dark green bits from bottoms.
- Put artichokes into acidulated water to prevent discoloration.
- Cut trimmed artichoke hearts into thick slices.
- Trim, peel and halve celery root, and cut halves into thick slices.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add artichokes and celery root, and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, for about 3 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cover.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool slightly.
- Put vegetables into a food processor, and, working in batches, pur8ee until smooth.
- Return to pan, and pour in cream.
- Season with salt and pepper, and warm over low heat, taking care not to boil.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls, and garnish with spiced almonds before serving.