|Time:||prep: 20 minutes
baking: 60 minutes
This recipe produces gingerbread, not gingerbread cookies. Gingerbread is a type of spice cake. Parkin, a variation listed at the bottom, is partially oat-based.
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz brown sugar
- 8 oz golden syrup
- 8 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 level teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 4 fluid oz. milk
- Put butter, sugar, and syrup in pan.
- Heat gently until butter melts.
- Place dry ingredients in bowl.
- Pour melted butter mixture into bowl, beating thoroughly.
- Warm milk in pan to dissolve syrup.
- Add milk to bowl, beating thoroughly.
- Stir in beaten eggs.
- Pour mixture into 8-inch greased square cake tin.
- Cook at 170°C (325°F) for one hour.
- Cool in tin for 15 minutes, then remove.
- Leave at least 1 day before cutting.