The main ingredients in Zagareliai are flour, eggs and sour cream.
- Kneed ingredients together.
- Beat dough with a rolling pin, folding the dough towards the center until blisters begin to form on dough.
- Cool dough to set.
- Roll ⅛ inch thick.
- Using a pastry cutting wheel, cut into 4" to 5" long and 1" wide strips.
- Make a slit lengthwise in the center of each strip and slip one end of the strip through this slit.
- Bring fat to a boil in a shallow, wide pot.
- Remove from heat and add one Tbsp whiskey or a few slices of raw potato to prevent pastry strips from burning. The fat will bubble up with this addition.
- Wait until bubbling action stops, then put back on heat and bring to a boil.