Yellow Split Pea Soup
- 1 lb smoked ham hocks
- 1 lb dried yellow split peas, cleaned
- 3 slices fresh ginger root, cleaned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups water or stock
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 small piece fresh hot pepper
- 1 tbsp Trinidad rum
- 1½ tbsp chopped chadon beni (culantro)
- Combine first 5 ingredients in soup pot and simer for one hour.
- Stir in carrots, onion, turmeric, chili powder and hot pepper- simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Remove ham hocks, cut meat from the bone; cut meat into small pieces and return to pot.
- Add rum and chadon beni and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Discard ginger pieces before serving.