- Ethnicity - Marathi, West Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- Prepare a paste of coconut, garlic and cumin seeds and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Prepare a tadka of mustard and cumin seeds, curry leaves, slit green chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Now add the coconut paste to the pan along with turmeric powder, and salt.
- Sauté for 5 minutes till the tadka turns red.
- Add pre-boiled dal and water.
- Wait for one boil.
- Vaaran is ready.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.