Uzbek-style Rice Pilaf
- Cut the lamb into chunks.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large dutch oven, then stir in the lamb and brown on all sides.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm in a 200 degree oven.
- Stir onions and carrots into the fat remaining in the pan, adding a little more olive oil if necessary.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes until tender but not browned.
- Return the lamb to the pot and add the raw rice.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the rice begins to turn golden brown.
- Then pour in the boiling water, stirring to mix well.
- Add the adzhika (or red pepper), salt, saffron tea and black pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or until rice is done.
- Serve liberally garnished with paper-thin slices of raw onion.