"Ujeni" is the Malawian word for "whatever." This ndiwo is not Malawian, but is made with ingredients readily available in Malawi, and can provide a bit of variety for volunteers tired of eating a repetitious diet of tomatoes and onions.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups rape, thinly cut (or your favorite greens)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1½ tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp powdered milk
- salt to taste
- Saute Onion in oil.
- Add curry powder and ginger with a little bit of water.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add tomatoes.
- Simmer a few more minutes, then sprinkle powdered milk over the mixture.
- Stir, add the greens, cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with nsima or rice.