Turkey-stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Source: Eating Well, June/July 2006
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 07.31.07
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 medium-large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup finely shredded fontina cheese
- Position rack in the lowest position; preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place oil and onion in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally and reducing heat as necessary to prevent scorching, until softened and starting to turn golden, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Meanwhile, combine rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a small dish.
- Place turkey in a medium bowl and sprinkle the spice mixture over it.
- Gently knead to combine.
- Form into 4 equal balls.
- Rub mushrooms on both sides with Worcestershire.
- Place one turkey ball in each mushroom cap, patting down to fill the cap.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms on the bottom rack until the mushrooms begin to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, spread the onion mixture over the filling and top with cheese.
- Continue baking until the cheese is melted and golden and the turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes more.
ChupaNote: added a couple of handfuls of minced bell pepper (red, yellow, orange) to step 5.
- 275 calories | 15g fat (5g sat, 4g mono) | 81mg cholesterol | 8g carbohydrate | 28g protein; 1g fiber; 535mg sodium; 534mg potassium.
- Selenium (40% daily value) | Iron & Potassium (15% dv).
- Exchanges: 1½ vegetable | 3½ lean meat | 1 fat
- Carbohydrate serving: ½
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/