Tuna Melt Sandwich
Chunk Light Tuna in Water, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 10
- 1 12-ounce can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 whole large egg
- ⅓ cup low fat mayonnaise/mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh onion
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ⅓ cup (5 ounces) shredded American cheese
- 5 English muffins, split
- Hard-cook egg: place egg in small saucepan, cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain and cool in cold water. Peel and chop.
- In a bowl, combine dry mustard and mayonnaise.
- Stir in onions, celery, chopped egg, and drained tuna. Toss lightly to mix.
- Mix in half of shredded cheese.
- Lay out split English muffins onto a baking pan. Spread ¼ cup of tuna salad to the edge of each muffin.
- Sprinkle the top with 1 tablespoon of remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 °F for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.