- olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 x 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 fresh green chile, sliced thin
- 2 generous handfuls of tortilla chips
- 1 generous tsp dried sage
Over medium heat warm a generous amount of olive oil. Include; onion, garlic, carrots, bell peppers. For ~15 min cook until soft, continue to gently stir. Include fresh tomatoes, bay leaves, crumble the bouillon cubes, and add the canned tomatoes. Include 2 cans of water. Stir and bring everything to boil. Reduce to a simmer for ~20 min, occasionally stir. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and pit avocado, then cut into ~1/2" cubes. Grate lime zest over avocado cubes, squeeze juice over cubes as well, these are to garnish. Bake tortilla chips, place on a pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle dried sage on top. Place in oven for a few minutes to warm. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Rombauer, Becker, Becker, Irma, Marion, Ethan Espe (2006). 75th joy of cooking. Simon & Schuster Inc.. pp. 132-133. ISBN 13:978-0-7432-4626-2.
- Oliver, Jamie Espe (2010). Jamie's AMERICA easy twists on great american classics, and more. Michael Joseph / The Penguin Group. pp. 145. ISBN 978-1-4013-2360-8.