This magical Italian dessert is claimed to be divine in taste, made in a rather elaborate process (perhaps you don't often find ladyfingers to be used in a sweet dish!) with eggs, mascarpone cheese, ladyfingers, cream, espresso coffee, liquor (brandy, marsala, rum etc.,), sugar and cocoa or grated chocolate.
- 3 cups 1% vanilla soy milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup liquid fat-free egg product
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 oz low-fat silken tofu, pureed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pkg. ladyfingers
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder for dusting
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon for dusting
- In small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, instant coffee and vanilla extract.
- Set aside.
- In top of double boiler, whisk together soy milk, sugar, egg product, flour and tofu.
- Set pan over simmering (not boiling) water, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Remove pan from water, and let cool.
- Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Line a long rectangular pâté mold with plastic wrap (alternatively, use a large, unlined soufflé dish) place half the ladyfingers in layer on bottom.
- Brush ladyfingers with coffee syrup.
- In small bowl, combine cocoa and cinnamon.
- Spread half custard mixture on top of ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle with some cocoa-cinnamon mixture.
- Repeat with remaining ladyfingers, syrup and custard, topping custard with dusting of cocoa-cinnamon mixture.
- Cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.