Tinolang tahong is a soup made with plump mussels steamed in ginger root, spinach and a bit of Onion.
- 2 lb mussels, still in shell (black mussels are available at Asian stores)
- medium sized piece of ginger root, peeled and sliced into julienne strips
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- several spinach leaves
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Boil mussels in water just enough to cover them.
- Add ginger and onions.
- Once the shells are opened, add spinach leaves.
- Simmer for about two minutes.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve hot.