Thai Golden Bags
These make wonderful party appetizers. They look very cute and kids love eating them.
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 2 ounces shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 wood ear mushrooms, soaked and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce (or 1 tbsp fish sauce and 1 tsp soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 25 wonton wrappers
- 25 chives, green part only (optional) or 5 – 10 green onions, green part only (optional)
- vegetable oil
- Thai sweet chili sauce
- Chop up shrimp and mix with ground pork, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, mushroom soy sauce, and black pepper.
- Scoop a teaspoonful of mixture onto the wrapper.
- Pull the edges up and pinch to close making a little bag. Repeat until all the mixture is used up. (Optional: Tie with a chive (be sure to knot it twice so it doesn’t come apart). If you are using green onions, place them in boiling water for 20 seconds to make more pliable. Cut each green onion into 3-5 thin strips lengthwise and tie around the bags.)
- Heat oil in deep fryer or wok until very hot.
- Fry until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve with Thai sweet chili sauce.