- 1 1/2 cups plain all-purpose flour
- large pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 oz Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 2/3 cup double (heavy) cream
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 3 egg yolks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl for the pastry.
- Rub the butter in, achieving a consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Combine egg with water, then stir into the flour, achieving a soft dough.
- Knead until the dough is smooth.
- Wrap up the dough in saraan wrap and leave to chill for ~30 min.
- Create the filling: start by melting the butter in a pan.
- Stir in flour and milk.
- To thicken, boil while consistently stirring.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat in cheese and season.
- Leave to cool.
- Boil the cream and herbs, reducing the mixture to 2 tbsp.
- Beat the sauce in the egg yolks.
- Warm oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface.
- Roll out the pastry, achieving a thickness of 3 mm.
- Stamp out rounds with a cutter. (plain or fluted)
- Line the tartlet tins with the cutouts.
- Fill each to 2/3 full of the filling.
- Stamp out smaller rounds. (stars or fluted).
- Top the tartlets with 2/3 filling with the stars or fluted rounds.
- Bake for ~25 min, achieving a golden brown colour.
- Crocker, Betty (1999). Betty Crocker's best Christmas cookbook. General Mills, Inc.. pp. 40-41. ISBN 0-02-863465-9.
- Day, Martha (2010). Classic Cooking for Christmas. Anness Publishing Ltd. pp. 21.
- Stewart, Martha (2003). The Martha Stewart Living Christmas Cookbook. Clarkson Potter/Publishers, New York. pp. 144-145. ISBN 1-4000-5037-5.