Tagine of Seabass and Seasonal Vegetables
- 30 sprigs flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 20 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 thick slices (4 to 6-ounces each) white fish, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 6 ribs celery, strings removed, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cleaned, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 20 large green Italian olives, pitted
- 1/2 medium lemon, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- Freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Wedges of lemon for garnish
First, for the marinade, in a large bowl, mix the parsley, cilantro, garlic, turmeric, paprika, cumin, and lemon juice. Stir to blend. Add the fish steaks and coat evenly with the marinade. Cover with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate 20 minutes to 8 hours.
In a small saucepan, blanch the sliced carrots in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside. Prepare the remaining vegetables for assembling the dish.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. To assemble the tagine, place the celery pieces at the bottom of a glass 12x 8-inch baking dish. Top with all of the carrots and zucchini slices. Cover with half of the tomato and onion slices. Dot with half of the olives. Season with salt and pepper. Set the fish on top of the vegetables. Layer the remaining tomato and onion slices over the top. End with lemon slices and the remaining olives. Cover with remaining marinade.
Wrap with foil. Bake until the vegetables are tender, 40 to 45 minutes.