Swedish Meatballs I
- Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
- Original recipe
- Yield: 12 servings
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the milk and bread crumbs; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, parsley, salt, allspice, and nutmeg; blend well.
- Add the meats and stir with a fork until well blended.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour on a piece of waxed paper and place next to the meat bowl.
- Shape the meat into 48 meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each.
- Dip each meatball lightly in the flour and place on a baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil.
- Add half the meatballs and cook until browned all over, 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook the meatballs until the meat is no longer pink, 20 – 25 minutes, turning occasionally (remaining meatballs should be refrigerated).
- Transfer the cooked meatballs to a bowl, cover, and keep warm.
- Remove any small meat pieces from the skillet.
- Repeat step 3 with the remaining meatballs.
- Calories: 106 | Protein: 15 g | Sodium: 65 mg | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Fat: 3 g | Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Exchanges: ½ starch | 2 very lean meat