Squash Casserole   is best in summer when squash is ripe and plentiful.
- 2 pounds yellow summer squash, trimmed and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese (~2 oz)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter crackers, such as Ritz, crushed (~12 crackers)
- Warm oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a casserole dish.
- Combine sliced squash and the onion in a pan with a cup of water and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cook over medium heat and cover with lid for ~15 min.
- Drain and let cool.
- Beat squash, achieve a chunky consistency.
- Include the egg, mayonnaise, cheese, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, mixing well.
- Evenly distribute this into the greased casserole dish.
- Cover with crushed crackers evenly.
- Bake for ~30 min.