Spiced Bok Choy and Tofu
This dish is a simple 30-minute meal. For an extra-spicy entree, leave the seeds in the jalapeno; remove seeds for a mild version. Shiitake stems can be saved for flavoring stock but are inedible, so discard them after using.
- Source: Vegetarian Times, Issue: March 1, 2004 p.51
- Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 9 cups (1 medium bunch) bok choy, rinsed and sliced crosswise
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp granular sugar substitute
- 1 lb firm tofu, at room temperature, cubed
- Heat oils in a large skillet or wok over high heat.
- Add bok choy and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
- Add scallion, garlic, jalapeño and ginger, and stir-fry for 1½ minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix water, soy sauce and sugar substitute together in a cup.
- Stir into bok choy mixture, and top with tofu.
- Cover, and cook just to heat through, for 1 minute.
- 360 Calories | 25g Protein | 18g Total fat | 35g Carbs | 8g Fiber | 2g Sugars
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/