Spiced Bean Soup
This authentic Moroccan soup is perfect for vegetarians as a light meal or as an appetizer. This recipe serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1.5 L water
- 200 g red lentils
- 400 g chickpeas, drained
- 400 g cannellini beans
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- 50 g carrots, chopped
- 50 g celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. When it's hot, add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Reduce the heat and stir gently on a medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil for five minutes.
- Reduce the heat again and allow the mixture to simmer for an hour, slightly more if the lentil aren't soft.
- Take the mixture off the heat and leave it to cool for 10 minutes or so.
- Put half of the soup in a blender for about 5 minutes, until it is smooth. Then put that back into the pan with the rest of the soup.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat, stirring to make sure it is even, and simmer for five minutes.