Spanish Rice with Bacon
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 6 servings
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) uncooked long grain rice
- 1¾ cups (420 ml) water
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 1½ teaspoons (5 to 7.5 ml) chili powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels.
- Add oil to the drippings; sauté onion for 3 minutes.
- Add rice; stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- 287 cal. | 12 g fat (4 g sat. fat) | 16 mg chol. | 514 mg sodium | 34 g carbo. | 2 g fiber | 10 g protein
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch | 2 fat | 1 vegetable