Beans, Pinto Dry by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup of 29 ounce-can chicken
- 1 (15½ ounce) can tomatoes, non-drained
- 1 (15½ ounce) can carrots, drained
- ⅓ cup original flavor barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- In a large pot, soak pinto beans using quick soak method.
- On medium-high heat, warm oil in skillet.
- Brown garlic and onion in oil.
- Remove excess fat from canned chicken, then add chicken to skillet and heat for 8–12 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes with juice, and carrots.
- Add barbecue sauce; heat until warm, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- On an open bun, pour chicken mixture on top.