- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 cup of finely chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup of regular oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves ("zatar" flakes or oregano leaves)
- 2 Maggi bouillon cubes (chicken, beef or vegetable flavor)
- In a saucepan, saute the onions in the butter until they are translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and saute until the tomatoes are tender.
- In a bowl on the side, mix the oatmeal with one cup of cool water.
- Add this mixture to the saucepan.
- Add another 4 cups of water and all of the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the oatmeal is well cooked and the onion is soft.