This was done on the (very uncertain) assumption that Shulla is related to Shurba in al-Baghdadi, and that the recipe we have for the latter thus gives a rough idea of how the former is made.
- 1 lb leg of lamb
- 1.6 oz (3 – 4 tbsp) rice
- 1.6 oz (¼ cup) ghee
- .8 oz (2 tbsp) (chickpeas)
- 3 oz sliced (check volume) onions
- .8 oz salt (1 tbsp) salt
- .4 oz fresh ginger peeled and chopped (check volume)
- .07 ounce (approx. ½ clove), sliced garlic
- .035 oz (½ tsp) pepper
- .035 oz (¼ stick) cinnamon
- .035 oz (approx. ½ tsp) cardamon
- .035 oz (approx. ½ tsp) cloves
- Melt the ghee, put it in a pot.
- Brown the meat, onions, and garlic in it for about 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add 1¼ cup of lukewarm water, salt, chickpeas, cinnamon.
- Simmer about another 10 minutes, then add ginger, pepper, cardamom and cloves.
- Add the rice and another ½ cup of water.
- Simmer another ½ hour.