Shrikhand   is a dessert like dish of Gujerat. Commonly served with puris, or can be used as a substitute of whipped cream when combined with fresh fruit.
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt, divided
- 3/4 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp hot milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped raw pistachios
- Separate yogurt into equal halves.
- Put each half in a a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Tie cheesecloth with yogurt tightly.
- Put in colander.
- Put colander over/in a large bowl.
- Put in fridge for ~6 hours, achieveing the liquid having drained from yogurt into the bowl.
- For ~15 min soak saffron in hot milk.
- Take drained yogurt and place in a bowl.
- Slowly mix (by hand!!)in sugar, achieveing smooth lump free consistency.
- Include saffron milk, hand mixing well.
- Place in separate serving bowls.
- Put nuts in each bowl and chill in fridge for ~2 hours before serving.
- ↑ Vaswani, Suneeta (2004). Easy Indian Cooking. Robert Rose Inc.. pp. 178. ISBN 0-7788-0088-1.
- ↑ Bharadwaj, Monisha (2006). the Indian kitchen. Kyodo Printing Co. Pte. Ltd.. pp. 38. ISBN 978-1-85626-659-8.