Stuffed vegetable turnovers
- Makes about 20 turnovers
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 1 medium onion; chopped
- 1 garlic clove; chopped
- 1 potato; peeled - cut into small pieces
- ½ cup cauliflower (chopped)
- 1 carrot; chopped (½ cup)
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup thin-sliced green beans
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn oil, for deep-frying
- Mix the meal, egg and salt together, adding just enough water to make a moist dough that holds together.
- Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion and garlic, and stir-fry over moderate heat until light brown, about 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Take the potato and ½ cup each of any other 3 vegetables and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add these to the pan with the onion and garlic and stir-fry over moderate heat for 3 minutes, to mix well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Take 1 heaping tsp of the dough and press it out on a flat surface into a 2½ inch square.
- Put 1 tsp of the vegetable mixture on the bottom half of the square and fold it over into a triangle.
- Prepare all the samoosi this way.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet and brown the turnovers over moderate heat for about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.