Salsa Ninety Nine
Salsa Ninety Nine serve for 10
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1/8 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/8 bunch cilantro
- 2 jalapeno chile peppers
- 1/4 medium head garlic
- 3/4 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 3/4 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Core and peel the tomatoes. Remove the tomato seeds and pulp. Put seeds and pulp through a food mill. Chop the outsides of the tomatoes
- In a large pot over low heat, boil the milled liquid and tomato paste for 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- In a blender or food processor, puree cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and 1/2 cup of the tomato liquid from the large pot. Slowly stir this mixture into the pot.
- Bring the contents of the pot to a boil while mixing in the green peppers, onions, chopped tomatoes, salt, vinegar and brown sugar. In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot. Stirring continually, boil the mixture until all the vegetable are soft—about 30 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool, and place it in sterile containers.