Safe and No Weep Meringue
This meringue recipe is by Nick Malgieri. It is light and fluffy, and serves many purposes. Add butter and it can be used as a cake frosting or filling. For a no-weep meringue topping for a pie, just omit butter. Top pie and brown under broiler for a few seconds. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Source: Nick Malgieri, How to Bake, MacMillan, 1996
- 4 large egg whites (½ cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (if making meringue for pies, omit butter)
- 10-ounce package of frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- Place egg whites, sugar and salt in a medium-sized heatproof mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk gently until egg whites are hot (about 140 degrees measured with an instant read thermometer) and sugar is dissolved, about 3 to 4 minutes. The mixture should look thick and syrupy.
- Remove from heat and whip by machine, on high, until thick and cooled, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the butter in large pieces (omit butter if making meringue for pies) and flavorings.
- Complete beating until buttercream is smooth and spreadable.
- Use immediately or refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.
- Before using, bring buttercream to room temperature and beat smooth by machine.
- Dissolve instant espresso powder or coffee in water, cold coffee or rum.
- Add lemon peel to lemon juice.
- Add orange peel to grand marnier.
- Cook down and strain a 10-ounce package of frozen raspberries to make a thick raspberry puree. Makes ¾ cup
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group