Royal Pineapple Rice Pudding
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum or 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teapoon salt
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- Combine undrained pineapple and brown sugar in 1-1/2 quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 15 minutes or until thickened and most of liquid is absorbed.
- Stir frequently to avoid sticking; add rum. Measure 1/2 cup; set aside for topping.
- Spread remaining pineapple in shallow baking dish, about 8-1/2x8-1/2x2 inches. Top evenly with rice.
- Heat half and half and milk to barely scalding.
- Beat eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt together.
- Slowly stir in hot liquid. Gently pour over rice. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Place baking dish in pan filled with hot water to depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until custard is set.
- Remove from oven and set in pan of cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Serve warm or cool, topped with reserved pineapple and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.