Rice and Lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup dried lentils, sorted and washed
- 4 cups water
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the spices and cook over low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and lentils and stir to mix well.
- Slowly add water.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the rice and lentils are tender.
- calories: 232 | carbohydrates: 34 | protein: 10 | fat: 8 | sodium: 262 | potassium: 325 | cholesterol: 0
- exchange value: 2 bread exchanges + 1 lean meat exchange + 1 fat exchange