- Soak the lentils in 2 cups of water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, saute the diced onion and pepper in the butter until starting to brown.
- Add the tomato and stir over the heat for a minute.
- Add the lentils (and the water they are soaked in) to the saucepan along with two more cups of water.
- Add the cumin powder and salt (or chicken bouillon) to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender. Add more water while cooking, if necessary.