Spicy lentil broth
- 1 cup toor dal, picked, cleaned and washed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp (tamco)
- 3 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, very finely minced
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp red pepper powder
- 4 green chilies, chopped into large chunks
- 5½ cups of water
- 3 tsp canola oil
- 2 tsp back mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp black cumin seeds
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- In a saucepan combine dal, turmeric, and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-flame.
- Simmer over low hear for a half hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- The pan should be partially covered as the lentils are cooking.
- The lentils should be tender at the end of the half hour.
- Cook more if they are still not too soft.
- Remove from heat and set aside *strain the lentils into a bowl.
- Add enough water to make the broth upto 4½ cups of liquid.
- Set aside the lentils to use for another recipe.
- Place tamarind pulp in a bowl and pour ½ cup of hot water and soak for 15 minutes.
- Mash with the back of a spoon.
- Strain into a bowl and set aside.
- Puree 2 and a half cups of the tomatoes with the garlic and a half cup of water until smooth *add the tamarind water, pureed tomatoes, cumin, black pepper, red pepper, coriander powder, asafoetida and the green chilies to the strained lentil broth.
- Over a medium flame heat the mix until it is almost boiling.
- Make certain not to let the broth boil.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle flame and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Heat the canola in a small frying pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook till they crackle.
- Add the cumin seeds, red chilies and curry leaves and the asafoetida.
- Cook until the chilies are lightly browned.
- Add this mixture to the soup and stir.
- Season to taste with salt and serve the soup garnished with coriander leaves.
- Serve piping hot in cups.