Quick Hoppin' John with Bacon
While I know this is a really good tasty recipe... it is very high in carbs so do not use if it does not work for you... IF you use it... substitute brown rice for the instant here and adjust the cooking time...also low sodium and low fat where possible... Take care, Gloria
- Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 15 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1¼ onions, chopped
- ¾ celery rib, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ lb canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1¼ cups instant rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute bacon about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until browned and crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Discard all but 2 tsp of drippings.
- Add onions, celery and garlic to bacon drippings and saute about 3 minutes, until just softened.
- Add beans, rice, water and stock.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover pan, remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Serve with bacon pieces and pepper sauce.
- 286 Calories | 3.8g Fat | 12% calories from fat | 6mg Cholesterol | 12.9g Protein | 50.1g Carbs | 6g Fiber | 6.5g Sugar | 755mg Sodium
- Diet points 5.3.
- Dietary exchanges: 1.1 Vegetable | 2.6 Bread | 0.4 Lean meat | 0.3 Fat