- 1 small pumpkin
- 2 cups uncooked rice 450 g
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine 15 ml
- ½ sweet pepper (chopped small)
- 1 small tin green peas (5¼ oz)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium sized tomato (chopped fine)
- 1 tsp salt 5 ml
- 3 – 4 cups water for cooking rice 750 – 1000 ml
- Wash then boil pumpkin in water (just sufficient to cover pumpkin) for about 15–20 minutes.
- Test with fork for doneness.
- Cut up or dice pumpkin about ½" size.
- Use water for cooking rice.
- Heat pot.
- Add fat, fry rice, stirring frequently.
- Add salted water.
- Let vegetables steam, on top of rice, pumpkin, tomato, onion and green peas.
- Cook another 10 – 20 minutes or until rice is tender and dried.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Serves well with any meat dish.