Portuguese-style Baked Beans
This recipe taken from www.Portuguese-recipes.com
- 1 lb. of navy white pea beans
- ¾ to 1 lb. of linguiça
- ¼ lb. of bacon (cut up small)
- 16 oz. can of tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Soak beans overnight.
- Pre boil them the next day. for around 30 minutes.
- Chop onions and linguica into small pieces. Chop tomatoes. After the beans are pre-boiled drain and save the water.
- Mix in large bowl the beans, linguica, onions, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and bacon.
- Save a couple of strips of Bacon for the top later on.
- Put all this in a heavy metal pot or bean pot. Pour enough of the reserved bean water to cover the mixture.
- Bake in a 350 °F oven, covered, for 1¾ hours covered and then ½ hour uncovered.
- Add more bean water if it dries out.