Portobello Mushroom Chili
- In a large heavy pan heat oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cayenne pepper and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Adding spice to the oil intensifies their flavour. If they are added to the liquid their full flavour will not be realized.
- Add diced portobello mushrooms and sauté until softened (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, and salt. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve topped with grated Cheddar cheese, if desired.